Wednesday, July 12, 2006

EVP & Reverse Speech


Oh my gosh, I am totally freaked out. I was just watching "," a so-so movie with the guy who played the original Batman and in the movie Duplicity.

I was very weirded out by the concept that one can receive communications by listening to the static of a TV set, but then I got to thinking that how cool would it be if it were real. Then... AT THE LAST SCENE OF THE MOVIE... There was a message on the screen saying that:

"7 out of 10 (Electronic Voice Phenomenon) messages contain violent messages."

Huh? You mean this stuff is thought to be real? So then I did a search on google.com for "EVP" and I found a WHOLE BUNCH OF SITES that talk about this "phenomenon" as if it is a real thing. Here are a few just to get you started: ghostpix.com, the skeptic's dictionaary, American Association of Electronic Voice Phenomena.

Holy Smokes! This totally weirded me out, especially from a Judaism point of view. Judaism teaches about the structure of the universe, and it talks about Angels, Demons, Spirits, and non-physical entites, and the laws for and against interacting with them. However, this is all theory -- there is no experiential side to these teachings, at least not for simple people like you and me.

I then surfed from site to site, and I noticed that on some sites they actually had some sound file recordings of the EVP messages and their relevant contexts. I played them, and it weirded me out further. I wondered after playing a few soundbites whether this might attract these unhappy spirits to me and my house, and I wondered what energies would be attracted to it by playing these sound bites. After all, if these non-physical entities are trying to communicate with us, then obviously someone who is paying attention to their existence might attract them. This scared me because from what I know about Judaism, any entity that contacts me here on our level cannot be a good thing, because our physical world (called Asiyah) is in a position only to attract the evil spiritual forces. There is more to this and I am sure my statement will be misunderstood, but this is not the place to go into it.

Bottom line, if this is real, then this is scary for me because it makes very real things that I only thought were in my mind and in my subjective experience. I have been told by countless psychics that I have contact with non-physical entities on a regular basis, but I have always thought [and still do think] that this was all a bunch of bologna.

Anyway, I don't want to be contacted by spiritual entities, and it weirded me out at how easy it was to do so, and I am sure that if I tried this EVP stuff that I would get some massive results because with my hearing and my sensitivity to magnetic sounds and visual distortions (my brain doesn't filter out all the visual impressions that my eyes receive as it should and so I see streaking patterns all day long -- again, a topic not for this post [in fact, I've written about it in the past])... Okay, bottom line, this stuff scares me and the fact that it is somewhat a "science", that scares me even more.

It scares me because it reminds me of a phenomenon I am VERY FAMILIAR WITH called (a web site describing this can be found here). When I was in college, I analyzed recorded conversations and especially my highly emotional diary entries and I found messages embedded in my own voice that were totally relevant to what was going on at the time of the recording -- but these messages were only found when I played the recordings BACKWARDS. Maybe I'll put a few of them up online in the near future. I spent many weeks working on this project and found significant results to the point that I got weirded out by the whole thing and then stopped it. I also scared a few people along the way.

Another reason I scrapped the project was because I was getting negative messages about the relationship I was in at the time telling me the whole thing wasn't going to work out, and I thought the messages were my imagination. Hindsight, the messages were 100% on target and that relationship totally didn't work out for the exact reasons the reverse messages said they wouldn't.

Anyway, enough weirdness. Back to bar review. I am sort-of uncomfortable with the subject because it might be real.

7 comments:

Ahuva said...

I'm not sure it's possible to figure out if EVP is real or if it's just a case of our human brains automatically trying to make sense out of random bits of noise.

When you look at an ink blot test, the pictures you see aren't really there. The ink blots are random, but your eyes and brain automatically try to sort the stain into a picture that makes sense.

I've been told by people who dabble in the "spirit world" that those things don't bother you if you don't bother them. In any case, only Hashem knows for certain whether any of it is "real" or not. I don't see any reason to go exploring it-- unless you enjoy getting freaked out. Then again, I wouldn't watch a horror movie either. :)

Raine said...

I didn't like that movie at all. Personally I have poked into alot of different things and come to the conclusion that the only power anything has over you is the power that you give it.

Margo said...

I just have to say that I really feel it should be spelled "baloney" in this context. I know it's besides the point - just can't seem to move past it. So sorry.

Zoe Strickman said...

Hehe Margo, I would have done the same thing had I noticed the error on someone else's site. :) It's a funny mistake.

Zoe Strickman said...

Raine, what has been your experience? -Zoe

Unknown said...

Hello, my name is Brian. I found your blog because it came up under a reverse speech search on Google, I found your article very interesting. I am a paranormal investigator, I have recorded many of EVP's from many places in Ohio. The more I do these investigations the worse things seem to get, what I mean by worse is Evil. I get very hateful messages, some even saying murder him, meaning me, I have a video on you tube of a session I had done, voices of the unknown are saying scratch him, I'm grabbing him, I had red marks on my left side arm, and a scratch on my left back. In the audio you will hear me say I feel you on the left side of me. I was in fact attacked by a demon, sadly all I had that day was a good old Samsung galaxy phone I did my recording on that day that can be heard. Beware some foul language is in the videos
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rnh63Y4KHlQ

Here lately though I am getting recordings that sound all messed up, I reverse them with software and they are super clear. Now I was always under the impression anything reversed like that was demonic, I am leaning towards this theory being correct with EVP's any ways simply because the devil wants us to lean away from god, I have an EVP recorded that when played forwards it states "That's it go back words" in Reverse it states" No devil that's it. It can be heard here - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y5FED7qa8pU I think it’s just deception.

That one above sounds clear both ways, but this is why I am interested in the reverse audio. I have not experienced this much up until like the last 8 months.

Well for all of you that enjoy hearing this stuff here is a view videos I done of EVP sessions on YouTube http://www.youtube.com/user/SeekingofLostSouls

Many EVP'S I have recorded here http://seekinglostsouls.com/category/evp/

I would love some input on the theory behind this reverse audio subject though. Thanks

Zoe Strickman said...

Brian, I wrote this article now seven years ago, and I am still weirded out by the topic of EVPs and reverse speak.

As I mentioned in my article, I understand that the unconscious mind speaks both forwards and backwards, and we can play around with the direction and speed of recordings these days and literally make out words and phrases.

I remember with a smile the reverse speak messages telling me why the relationship won't work out while I was highly emotionally charged and crying into my diary about that relationship. Yes, men cry too.

It still weirds me out about the possibilities that non-physical entities could use EVP to communicate their messages, and I have zero interest in hearing them. As a paranormal investigator, as cool as that field sounds, you're probably dealing with some violent and angry or lost entities, and I'm not sure you want to be the conduit through which they express their anger. Do whatever you can to keep your thoughts pure, and protect yourself as best you can. Just be warned that we are weaklings compared to non-physical entities, so beware of their anger and do your best not to interact with them.