Wednesday, October 15, 2008

My close friend and co-worker was fired this afternoon.


I don't know how to talk about this so I'll just come out and say it -- one of my close friends at work got fired while I was out for Sukkos. Obviously I change things on this blog so I'll call him a her and/or vice versa, but no doubt, should he read this he'll know I'm writing about him, but I only have good things to say.

This friend of mine got me my job. He fought for me to get an interview and now over ten months later, they let him go. I just called him on the phone and it appears that while it was a shock, he had the feeling it was coming.

This concerns me because while I have worked my hardest to make myself valuable to the company and to the owner of the company, nobody can deny that we're in tough times. Even speaking to my superiors, they have acknowledged that these are tough times. Yes, the patent world is said to be recession-proof since even during an economic downturn, customers who own patents start to enforce them through licensing programs.

But that doesn't change the reality of things -- times ARE tough and I was even telling my wife that I'm fearful for my job because there is a lack of stability in the air. I don't remember the contents of my conversation with my wife -- actually now I do -- she wanted us to consider moving closer to my work which is over an hour away from our current home, but I told her that would be an unwise plan because I have a feeling my job could go away at any moment, and now the cut has gone to the one person who got me into this company.

I will end this post here. I have a lot of feelings about this, but let me just say that my heart goes out to my friend and if the company were smaller and I had some clout which I don't, I would say "let's all quit." But it is certain that this was a business decision and the company is weighing in and they had to cut a branch and my friend was the one running that branch.

2 comments:

Sherlock  Best said...

Gee...That was horrible, man, I feel sorry for you and your friend. :( May I ask, how long did your friend stay in the company, Zoe? If she did great things for the company, then that's not fair to her. Since you mentioned that she already knew what's going to happen, I guess, there's no point of talking about that. There must be a problem with the company. I hope she finds a new job soon! :)

Zoe Strickman said...

That was a horrible time. My job also went a few months afterwards. It was all about a business strategy that went down the tubes. Everyone of us were eventually canned as a result of this failure.