Monday, July 05, 2010

GOALSETTING

So... I've been listening to taped by Dave Allen and Tony Robbins' "Time of Your Life" course that I bought years ago, and I've become a sort of "to do list" freak.  I tried and REALLY ADOPTED Gina @ Lifehacker.com's TODO.TXT software (I got it running on Windows XP using cygwin which is considerably slower than it was using .sh on Linux), but this is what I deal with using Windows now that I decided to have a law practice.  Running a law practice on the Ubuntu Linux operating system was really difficult to accomplish, so I had to switch back to the evil Windows XP (I wouldn't even try Windows 7 on my slow X41 Tablet laptop).

So the TODO.TXT works well, and I like the idea of having everything in a text file which is the crash-proof option of preserving work without relying on a piece of software's proprietary software format.  The problem is that even with tweaking the code and applying add-ons to allow for listing to-do tasks by project (+LawFirm @Home, etc.), it still doesn't allow me to work with my tasks in a way any other than a to-do list.

So in short, I'm doing a life planning session right now, and so I figured since I'm typing it anyway, I'll put it on the blog and I'll share it with you.

SO FAR, the CATEGORIES of my life (with descriptive titles to excite me) are:

PERSONAL: WELLNESS MACHINE, CLOSE RELATIONSHIPS, FINANCE AUTOMATION, YIDDISHKEIT, MIND FOOD, PEACE OF MIND.

LAW PROFESSIONAL: PRACTICE RESEARCH, OFFICE FORMATION, ETHICS CHECK, CUSTOMER MAGNET, NETWORKING, RAINMAKING, BRINGIN' HOME THE SCHNITZEL.

Okay, now let's go into depth the areas each category covers:

WELLNESS MACHINE (HEALTH):
FITNESS MACHINE (EXERCISE)
WELLNESS GURU (LEARNING)
CLEAN BILL OF HEALTH (MEDICAL)
SLEEP PATTERNS MANAGED
NUTRITION / DIET HABITUALIZED

CLOSE RELATIONSHIPS:
AS A HUSBAND (PROVIDER, SUPPORTER, LOVER)
AS A FATHER (STRENGTH, LOVING, TENDER, DISCIPLINE, TEACHER, ROLE MODEL)
AS A SON (JUST CALL MY MOM AND DAD)
AS A SIBLING (RECONCILE RELATIONSHIP)
AS AN IN-LAW (SUPPORT, BITTUL, COMPLIMENTS)

FINANCE AUTOMATION:
SAVINGS -- FOR HOME PURCHASE, FOR MINIVAN PURCHASE
BILLS PAID AUTOMATICALLY (TO THE CORRECT CHECKING ACCOUNTS)
STOCKS / RETIREMENT / IRA / 401K (NOT SITTING IDLY)
STUDENT LOANS PAID (FREE & CLEAR)
JOB / INCOME STREAM EXCEED EXPENSES.

AS A JEW (YIDDISHKEIT, in no particular order):
NEGELVASSER IN THE MORNING
PRAYER -- MORNING BERACHOS, SHACHRIS, MINCHA, MARIV, BENCHING, KERIAT SHEMA.LEARNING TORAH -- CHITAS, CHASSIDUS, NIGLEH (CHEVRUSA), HALACHA
CHINUCH (CHILDREN'S EDUCATION)
COMMUNITY -- ATTENDING EVENTS, SHIURIM, FARBRENGENS

PROFESSIONAL:
RESEARCH AREAS OF PRACTICE (PATENT, PATENT LITIGATION, FORECLOSURES, BANKRUPTCY)
LAW PRACTICE EQUIPMENT
LAW FIRM WEB SITE
SPEAKER
RAINMAKER
RESOLVE ETHICAL ISSUES (E.G., MULTI-JURISDICTIONAL PRACTICE, CLE IN OTHER STATES ADMITTED, ETC.)
ADVERTISING / SEO
TAKE REQUIRED INTRODUCTORY ATTORNEY COURSE

Let me know if I've forgotten anything.

No comments: